Friday, September 10, 2010

Clara's birthday

Dear Mother and Father,

Some interesting things happened last night, although I didn't actually go downstairs like I ought to have. I fell asleep in the middle of the evening, and by the time I awoke, quite a few people had already gathered downstairs. I heard Mr. Baron's voice and many others, including some I'm sure I've never heard before. It was apparently the birthday of a girl not too far from my age named Clara Corryong. (There was another voice belonging to someone young, but only one birthday.) She must have been very important, because Mr. Baron invited her to dance with him. (Mother, I promise you that if this Corryong girl did anything to earn her status, I will find out what it was and do it myself.) I would have been mortified to stride downstairs in the middle of all that as if I owned the place, so I tried my very best to stay quiet. (I had my things all over the floor, though, so it wasn't easy.)
I overheard various things of various importance from upstairs. In a discussion about getting through transport checkpoints, Miss Dreamscape implied that the Jaegerpeople do indeed know that they look a bit intimidating to others. I hadn't known that, and I hope I've never offended any of them by being inappropriately intimidated! Also, Mr. Baron said that Mrs. Lowey wasn't feeling well. I hope it's nothing serious! The Sparkpeople know what to do when someone isn't feeling well, don't they? Finally, through many different indirect remarks, I gathered that one of the people downstairs was a doll of some kind. I do wish I could have seen her!
The most memorable and alarming thing happened after the party itself, when Miss Corryong and Mr. Baron were already gone. A friend of Miss Dreamscape's, a Mr. Paine, had wandered in late and got a little bit too adventurous with the beverages. It is sensible that one ought to exercise more caution than normal when a bar contains ingredients meant for multiple species, but I guess that would be easy to forget in some social settings. The end result was that he got so sick that he collapsed and the Jaegerladies were going to take him upstairs for emergency medical treatment! I got my things put away and went back to bed before I had a chance to get in their way, and in the morning he wasn't anywhere around. I hope that's a good sign and that he wasn't carted off to the morgue! Miss Dreamscape doesn't appear to be in mourning for her friend, so I must hope for the best.
I don't know that anyone noticed me last night, or at least I don't think they noticed with certainty. Ms. Steamweaver asked if Miss Dreamscape had company at one point when I shuffled a bit too loudly, but there was no follow-up that I could hear. Of course, I've gotten the impression that Miss Dreamscape naturally knows where I am most of the time, just as Porridge did with her kitty senses, so I wouldn't rule out my having drawn more notice than the audible conversation betrayed.
I hope I haven't irritated anyone yet with my presence or lack of presence or anything in between!
Love,
Shaqad

No comments:

Post a Comment