Monday, February 7, 2011

Evicted!

Dear Mother and Father,

I'm afraid my habitation in the mines has been slightly compromised. I finally met the owner of the furniture I had seen down there, who happens to be a boy not too far from my age. I may have awakened him to introduce myself, which was in itself a rather foolish idea, and he may have become a bit territorial upon waking up. He told me to stay out of the mines. I've moved my things out, except for the animalcules which I threw in the water. I think they will be happier there, anyhow. I had to make a couple of trips just to move all of my possessions! I have quite a bit to my name right now, especially considering that I left home with only the clothes I was wearing, a needle, some spools of thread, and a few pieces of candy. It's remarkable how far I've come. Of course, having too many things to carry at once, I was forced to let a few of them go in order to go about looking for a new shelter without dropping everything continually. I left my pointy tusk pole, four out of five mimmoth-bone knives, one of my textbooks, both of my Landmark devices, and all of my unfinished sewing projects in a rubbish bin. I'm now carrying one textbook, my cheese gun, one knife, my needle, and what remains of my thread. Soon I may have to discard the needle as well, as I won't have any thread left to use it with. I'm glad I already made myself a shawl and boots!
I know in my head that this is a good thing because it will force me to get out more and interact with people, but instead, I keep trying to worry about where I shall go to be warm. It is bitterly cold out here. I wonder if Zaida Gearbox's mother would let me stay in her attic or basement or some such. After all the nightmares I've had about that--about interrupting the Gearbox family's life, I mean--I seem to be rather more nervous than I should be. You always helped me when I was afraid to do things, making sure I did them whether I wanted to or not, and now I don't have you around anymore. I'll just have to do my best. In the meantime, maybe I can at least build a campfire in the woods. I wish I had made a blanket out of all the mimmoths I've squashed. Then I could build a tent out of it, I think, somehow or other.
I know for sure that I can't get overly close to Steelhead Shanghai in the near future. Yesterday I asked a boy coming out of it whether he was Good or Evil, and he got a bit insulted at the question and struck me. My reflection in ice and windows is alarmingly discolored right this moment, but I'm sure it will get better. In any case, I should steer clear of the person or persons I insulted for the next few days.
Looking over the last paragraph, this is so unreal! I did something bad, and I am making no effort to correct it or atone for it! My self-discipline has gone down almost to nothing and I am frightened. Please pray for my wayward soul!

Love,
Your Shaqad

No comments:

Post a Comment