Dear Mother and Father,
I believe I may have stumbled into a parallel universe. I'm surprised it took this long for it to occur to me, especially after being torn off The Grid repeatedly, but it never occurred to me previously that a universe that runs parallel to another universe might be possible. The idea finally hit me when I was digging deeply into my memory for some hint as to what happened the day before yesterday. It took a lot of concentration, but eventually things came up. Barefoot table dancing came up, but that could have been from Thursday. Ms. Aoi the Japanese fairy queen came up, but I've met her more than once before. Valdy came up. I know Valdy. There was that question I've heard many times before but still don't know the answer to: "How have you been?" I don't know how I've been. You aren't anywhere near enough to tell me how I've been, and although I may be prone to making all kinds of wild assumptions about how I am, I always wind up being wrong when I can get your objective feedback. I pity the people who ask me that question when there is no hope of my answering it correctly.
There was also another sentence that comes into my mind: "Eh, you're a good kid, Shaqad." My memory says Valdy said that. It is too strange even for my subconscious to come up with, but it could not have occurred on our Grid. And yet I think it happened. Thus, I must conclude that I am no longer in the same universe I was born into.
Father, do you remember the stories of Arthur Trigmason or whatever his name was? The one who was toying with dimensional harmonics in an effort to conquer every universe in existence, but was never seen again? Everyone thought he was insane because there isn't anything to conquer out there except for great squidgy Eldritch things, but perhaps he knew something nobody else did. Perhaps there really are other universes full of humanlike beings, and perhaps I'm in one of them.
The implications are staggering. If my hypothesis is correct (which it probably isn't, given that it's coming from a little lady who can't even set a table correctly), there's no telling how far I am from home. Are there copies of people in this universe, such as you and me? Is it possible to go back the way I came? If there are duplicates of people, what has my indigenous self been up to? Is there a version of me still on my home Grid? When did I leave? Does everyone here secretly have tentacles and extra eyes after all? What is expected of me now that I'm here? How long will it take for Valdy to realize I'm not the "good kid" she thinks I am? Are the laws of physics and ethics even the same here? Is the God who's upset about the doily incident the same God who created all the other universes?
Now I'm getting a little bit crazy with my speculations. I should stop now. I should be concerned about matters of non-speculative importance, such as how not to induce this world's Valdy to retract her mysterious statement. This is different from the glass shelf, but it's hard to say how.
Or perhaps she never said that after all, and it really is just my imagination.
Shaqad
No comments:
Post a Comment