Mother and Father,
It has come to my attention that there is a photograph circulating in one or more publications in which you can see me in the same room as several Persons of Great Importance. I can imagine your reactions. You will have seen the photograph long before you get any of these letters, and most likely before I have even sent them. You are wondering about all this, and you are mad at me for getting myself into that situation without taking advantage of it. You are wondering why I haven't contacted you. Mother, you are wondering why I am not betrothed to Mr. Baron Wulfenbach's next of kin, and Father, you are wondering why I am not in a good school or apprenticed to a brilliant Sparkperson.
Well, I don't know how, alright? Forgive my rudeness, but I don't know how. If I knew how to do the things you want me to, I would have. I don't know how to interact with these people. I don't know how to get things I want out of them. I barely even know how to get enough food to eat. I am stupid, yes, and you knew as much. Don't be mad at me. Don't hate me. Don't hate me, please. See here: If you give me time, I will eventually get my life in order, and then you will see my picture with a wedding or achievement announcement. Then you will see what you want. Just stop telling me, in the back of my mind, that I have failed you. I don't need to be told. Please read all of my letters before you make a judgment! Please!
I know it is proper for adults to speak and children to listen, but sometimes I just wish the memories of you in the back of my mind would quiet down for once so I could hear myself think. (No "You'd be able to hear a pin drop" jokes, please.) You are never silent. You are always with me. The refining crucible has never cooled; so perhaps it is your persistent guidance that troubles me. I am the foolish offspring in the Book of Proverbs. But really, it comes down to this: I don't have what it takes to be your daughter. I never did, and I suspect I never shall.
I wish I could switch places with any girl in the world. You are loving parents, so I'm sure she would be happy, and any girl in the world would be a better daughter than me, so you would be happy, too. But maybe this is the first step. Please, clear me out of your world to make room for someone better. I cannot do this anymore.
Shaqad
No comments:
Post a Comment