Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rejection! And also a monster

Dear Mother and Father,

The all-consuming chasm that forms my social skills has gotten me into trouble again. I thought you would want to know.
Several days ago, Loki from the mines informed me that he had met an unusual humanoid on the tip-top of the mountain. He was frightened by its appearance and fled from it before they could get acquainted, even though the Steamlands are absolutely full of people who look intimidating but are perfectly kind. From his account, it was unusually massive and very spiky like armor. It was just standing around by itself up there!
Naturally, I thought to myself that it must be awfully cold and hungry up there, so I killed several dozen mimmoths to make a blanket and meat for it. I bundled all those up in the skins of more mimmoths and took a long walk up the mountain. I've never had to climb to the top before, so it took extra time for me to find a way up. At one point, I even had to tie my skins and meat onto my back and crawl with my hands and feet against the rocks like a bug. (I'm very glad my shoes and gloves are flexible!)
But when I reached the top where the armored person was, and I introduced myself and offered him his blanket and his grilled mimmoth, he roared and made angry fighting gestures at me! Then he came toward me, so I dropped everything I had and ran away as fast as possible. I didn't mean to upset him so much! I've met other intimidating-looking people before, but I managed never to make them angry! I had no idea he would want to fight with me!
Thus I got down to the bottom of the mountain with as much speed as I could manage (which resulted in me accidentally running further on into the river, but I don't think anyone saw that), fleeing my responsibility to un-offend the mountain person.
Now I'm trying my hardest to sort out how I might make it up to the mountain person, but as I'm not sure how I offended him or her or it in the first place, there is a very big risk that my apology would offend him or her or it even more. What should I do?

Love and repentance,
Your Shaqad

No comments:

Post a Comment