Saturday, November 13, 2010

This is home

Dear Mother and Father,

Because I feel so wonderfully safe in the city now, and because inanimate objects have yet to start breathing and wandering around, I wandered across the city until I found Miss Dreamscape's tavern. (Actually, I was afraid to go, but Mr./Miss Bermann politely reminded me that there was a party and I'd probably be welcome. And I was!)
At first I wasn't so sure I would be welcome, but Miss Steamweaver (the Jaegerperson, not the honnio-fairy-I-don't-honestly-know-what-she-is) noticed me outside and invited me in. Then I slipped and fell in the water before I managed to get myself inside, but nobody minded having a soaking mess in their midst. (I'm glad the water is safe from monsters again!)
It was a quiet evening, but people I knew were there. It was very, very comforting to see them again. I should try to see them more often if it's possible.
I got a bit of a start from Miss Captain Nacht tonight by dancing on a table, though I promise you it wasn't a condemning sort of start. I would have danced on the ground like usual, but I didn't feel sharp enough to fiddle with the knowing-how-to-dance machine at the time, and I figured that in light of how often people do the table dancing thing, it must be an accepted part of their culture. In fact, Miss Blackheart was doing it right then. I also couldn't forget that Miss Dreamscape had done the same before, looking so elegant in her peacock trouser-dress and top hat. (The feral aspect of the Jaegerpeople's appearance can be gotten used to. It's true that they don't look like humans, but they don't need to. They don't need to look like anything.) So I must confess that when I got my awkward, worn-out, raggedy little self up onto the table and tried to imitate her graceful movements from memory, for that brief time I felt so close to being pretty! I'm sure I sound utterly ridiculous right now, but it was a very uplifting moment. I wish I could feel like that all the time. Mother, you are a lady of noble heritage. Do you feel like that all the time?
Someday I promise you and me that I will be pretty for real, both in appearance and behavior. You may have to suffer a slow transition, but I will get there. There is loveliness in this world and I want so much to be a part of it. That's what you always wanted for me, isn't it?

Yours foremost and forever,
Shaqad

No comments:

Post a Comment